“What do you want for your birthday?”
“Something thoughtful…Surprise me.”
The elusive thoughtful gift. Something that demonstrates how well you know the receiver, something that will make them feel loved/important/whatever you’re going for. It can seem tricky, but it’s not so bad. Here’s some tips:
- Get in their shoes. Make sure that you aren’t thinking about what you would like to receive, but what they would like to receive. Do you think it’s ridiculous to have records this day in age, but know that they’re pining for some vinyl? It’s time to face the hipsters and get to a record store.
- Have they lost anything? Did they mention that they lost their favorite gloves? Swoop in and grab them a new pair. Samesies for that sweater your BFF covered in wine last weekend. Golden opportunities for thoughtful gift giving.
- Did you meet anywhere cool? Go to another show at Wonder Ballroom, another Hecklevision, or whatever Portland awesome brought you two together.
- Do you have any inside jokes/connections? Maybe you both love the book Fahrenheit 451, the movie Dirty Dancing, and vanilla ice cream cones–you could hire me to paint them a painting that incorporates the three!
- Any life changes happening? If someone’s about to move across the country, getting them things might not be the best idea. Maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant in their new city, or a stupendous playlist for the drive. (With snackage!)
Whatever you go for, don’t forget the card. And don’t forget to write inside the card. Are you happy they are in your life? Why? You don’t have to go baring your soul or anything, but how hard is a little, “Thanks for always being there for me, for caring about my life’s whatnots, and for always getting the spiders?”
You’re going to rock this gift.